Friday, October 11, 2013

VegFest AKA the Best Vegan Experience of Your Life

Hello all,
it is a miserable rainy day in Barcelona so I have been locked inside for most of the day.  However, this is good because I can finally write about the time of my life at VegFest UK!  Seriously, the food was enough to last me a life time.  I wish it was longer so I could of bought meals from all of the vendors, but that was impossible in two days.  So I am going to talk about VegFest in 2 blog posts just because there is a lot to share.  I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I did experiencing them!
 
The basics: there were speakers, singers, comedians, work out gurus, awards, panels, cooking demonstrations, tons of samples, food, groups to join, products to buy, clothes, cookware, and the list goes on!  Clearly I was in vegan heaven.
Day one, I woke up in Spain at 4:30 am to catch my flight (3:30 am London time).  I got to my hotel a little before 11 in London, dropped off my luggage, and went straight to VegFest where the line was around the block for ages.  A little boy exclaimed "holy moley!" when he saw the line.  But when I got inside I got a free bottle of Zeo which was awesome.  I got to try all three flavors and really thought they were delicious.  You should consider buying a bottle if you see them around.
Next I had to get some grub because I was starving; but it was really hard to choose because everything looked so good!  So I decided on the Southern Fried Chicken sandwich from Vbites with vegan cheese, onions and ketchup, and I got an amazing cupcake but I sadly do not remember the vendor and they were only there on Saturday.

Sea salt caramel with a caramel center!
This sandwich was so good I honestly thought about getting it again on Sunday.
That night for dinner I went to the sushi truck that was parked inside, it looked so cool but the lines were always horrendous during the lunch period.  I got the sweet potato roll from them which was amazing! (The only type of sushi I have ever liked is sweet potato roll so I was ecstatic to see that on the menu).
 The only thing I didn't like was that the sushi was not cut but they had a lot going on in their little truck so I understand.  For dessert, which I had to take back to my hotel because I was too stuffed to eat it at VegFest, was a blueberry vanilla vegan cheese cake.  And it was to die for!  I wish I knew the bakers of that as well so I could have kissed them.  Sadly there were so many different bakeries there it was hard to tell who was who after a while.  There were over 180 stalls there so it was quite hectic.

 

 I also got to try a seed from the cacao plant, where chocolate comes from.  Let me tell you this is nothing like any chocolate I have ever experienced.  For one thing the white stuff on the outside is slimy and the bean is very bitter.  While it was not what I was expecting, it was really cool to say I've tried it because not many people in the world can say that!

For Sunday I had a felafel for lunch from a place I cannot remember the name and could not find their information on the catering list.  It was really good though, nice and warm.  Then I also had that massive chocolate cookie icing sandwich which actually took me all day to eat because it was so large and the icing was very sweet.  
And I did not get anything for dinner because I was so stuffed and had to go to my Harry Potter Studio Tour, which was actually the best thing ever.  However, I was kicking myself when I finally got back to my hotel that night, around 11 pm and had to be up at 6 for my flight, because I was hungry and did not have anything but the snacks I bought.
All in all VegFest UK was a success and an experience I will remember forever.  I really hope one day I can go back because it was that amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment